We invite you to discover Fuquay-Varina’s historic downtown and spend the day exploring our friendly community. Sample delicious BBQ from the region’s best competitors, enjoy live blues music, and taste a selection of locally brewed craft beers. We are proud to feature Got to Be NC products and host the Big Cart as well as local businesses, artisans and community groups. This is a family friendly event with something for everyone and even more to discover within our two historic districts.
405 Broad St. (Old Stephens Hardware Bldg in the Varina District)
BBQ, Blues & Brews Fundraising Event Overview
Saturday, September 22nd 1:00 – 5:00 PM
This festival is held on Broad Street in the historic Varina downtown district and is an event that features things people LOVE about North Carolina...BBQ, Blues Music and Craft Beer!! This fundraising event is Fuquay-Varina’s way for people to enjoy a friendly, competitive, delicious BBQ Cook-Off. Guests are encouraged to visit all contest zones to sample delicious BBQ, savor a unique selection of craft beers and enjoy a variety of blues music provided by our event partners, Aviator Brewery, Fainting Goat Brewing Co. and The Mason Jar Lager Co.
The BBQ Cook-Off is designed to be easy, laid back, fun and PROFITABLE for contestants as they compete for bragging rights and Prize Money. This contest is NOT a KCBS sanctioned event. Winners are chosen through a “blind judging” by a panel of 3-5 judges, a few of which are KCBS certified. *Remember…this is a fundraising, non-sanctioned event. It is meant to be FUN! Friendly competition is good but we hope you’ll just relax and have a good time meeting a lot of NC BBQ lovers!
Deadline- August 31st, 2018
20x20 - $150
20x40 - $225
Spaces are assigned on a first come, first served basis. There is no power available to cook sites, but portable generators are allowed.
Payment is non-refundable and can be made via credit card at time of registration.
Arrival & Set Up:
1. Teams must arrive and check-in on Friday, September 21st between 3:00 – 6:00 PM; to complete your set- up by 8:00 PM. You may start cooking on Friday after you check-in. Check-in location will be located under the front entrance of Stephens Hardware.
2. Each team will receive a clam-shell Styrofoam container to submit your BBQ to the judges.
3. Team Meeting: We will review the rules & instructions for contest with each team the evening of registration.
Please send AT LEAST one team member for a team meeting Friday at 6:15pm under the covered entrance to Stephens Hardware. Teams will be disqualified if you do not have a representative at the Team Meeting.
COOK-OFF CATEGORY: BBQ Pork
- Boston Butts and Whole Hog
- Meat must be cooked on-site from a raw state. Teams may cook with any type of wood, charcoal, or butane/propane. No holes or fire pits may be dug. Each team is to provide a fire extinguisher and keep cooking sources away from building structures.
- Meat may be sauced or not sauced when cooking – this is entirely up to the contestant. Sauces should be home-made and not commercial. Sauces are NOT a category that is judged in this event.
- Teams are to provide their own meat for the contest. 10 – 10lb Boston Butts or 1 – 125lb whole hog.
- Teams are to provide their own cooking devices, tables, chairs, tents, utensils and etc.
- There will be a limited water supply on-site, therefore, Teams should bring their own water supply to insure adequate amount needed, including a bucket of chlorinated water for sterilization.
- Teams must read and abide by all NC health department regulations as set forth in RULES GOVERNING THE FOOD PROTECTION AND SANITATION OF FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS 15A NCAC 18A .2600 Specifically, Temporary Food Establishment Rules .2665 to .2669. http://ehs.ncpublichealth.com/docs/rules/2600-
- PRIOR to cooking – Meat must be maintained at 40o F or less. AFTER cooking, Meat must be maintained at 140o F or above OR cooked meat can be cooled as follows: Within 2 hours from 140o F to 70o F and within 4 hours from 70o F to 41o F or less. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that meat reaches a temperature of at least 165o F for a minimum of 15 seconds.
- Use a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water) to sanitize work area. Cook Teams are required to provide a separate container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.
- NO SMOKING while handling the meat. Shirt & Shoes are required.
- Teams are not allowed to sell anything.
- Teams are required to collect a “Tasting” ticket PRIOR to serving a “TASTING” portion – approx. 2oz. to the attendee. **The smaller the portion, the LONGER you stay in the contest!
Teams may serve the BBQ chopped or pulled.
- Event starts at 1:00 PM on Saturday. All servings must be ready, fresh and hot at that time. Event ends at 5:00PM.
- All contestants must stay until the end of the event. No early departures are permitted.
- Teams will abide by the following rules:
- No nudity, vulgarity, or drunkenness will be allowed or tolerated. Security will be patrolling the event. No fireworks. No loud music from Friday 11PM to Saturday 8AM nor from Saturday 1PM – 7PM as to avoid interfering with bands engaged by the event sponsors. Any offensive conduct will be grounds for disqualification from the event and expulsion from the contest area.
FVDA will sell “Tasting” tickets to the general public.
- $10 allows person to Taste/Sample BBQ from 10 contestants of their choosing
- Tasting Tickets are Red ‘Admit One’ tickets –Other tickets are used to vote for People’s Choice Award. Votes can be placed in Voting Container (labeled brown bag we provide).
Team’s Serving Instructions:
- Cook Teams MUST COLLECT a Tasting ticket for EVERY serving they provide!! NO TICKET= NO BBQ!! Keep all of the tickets you collect and place in a container.
- Cook Teams will serve a Taste of their BBQ in a 2 oz. cup provided by FVDA
- Do NOT serve more than a 2oz. serving!! To do so costs FVDA fundraising money AND you’re out of the People’s Choice contest EARLY!
- VERY IMPORTANT: TEXT Rachel when you are almost out of BBQ: 850-390-3431
- FVDA will provide the Ticket sales for “Tasting” tickets
- FVDA will provide an adequate supply of the following items to each Team for serving:
- 2 oz. cups
- FVDA will provide a Team Sign for your serving table and a container to collect the VOTES from the tasters
- FVDA will provide portable safety work light in the cook zone
- FVDA will provide porta-johns and hand-washing station in the cook zone
- FVDA will promote the event and the contestants on their website, Facebook, Twitter, and through Press Releases to media outlets
- FVDA will provide a location to collect USED OIL
- There will be 3-5 judges, some KCBS certified
- Prize Money: 1st Place: $1000 2nd Place: $500 3rd Place: $300
- People’s Choice Award: Will be determined by the number of votes each team received. Each Tasting Ticket sold includes a Voting ticket that the taster will use to vote for their favorite BBQ. Each Team will be given a container to receive the ticket. FVDA volunteers will collect the containers and count each box to determine the highest # of votes to declare the Winner.
- Judging will take place on Saturday, beginning at 12:30 at a location specified in your Arrival packet.
- Teams will be given a specific time window to submit their entry (in the pre-numbered container provided at arrival) to the judges as part of their Arrival & Set-up Instructions
- Meats may NOT be sauced while cooking but may be added directly to the meat in the container. It must not pool or puddle in the container. No side sauces. Place approx. 10 ounces in your pre-numbered container for judging to avoid excess waste.
- Boxes may be “dressed” or “undressed” – your choice.
- The public will vote for People’s Choice through-out the event starting at 1:00 PM. Voting bags will be collected at 3:45pm and counted.
- ALL Winners will be announced at 4:30pm at the Stephens Stage.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION AND SUPPORT!
About Fuquay-Varina Downtown Association:
FVDA is a non-profit corporation responsible for supporting the downtown districts in Fuquay-Varina. Downtown is where future residents and businesses learn the character of the community and realize it is the heartbeat of our town. Our program is funded through your donations! Thank you for helping bring another fun event to the community!